Preparation / Directions:
Bombay has a way of discovering its own cuisine. Pav Bhaji is a simple loaf fried in butter and served with a mishmash of vegetables and is a prime example of Bombay's on-the-spot cuisine.
Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
1. Heat half the butter in a frying pan and add cumin seeds and green chiles.
2. Brown and add minced onions, ginger-garlic paste, all vegetables, tomatoes and potatoes.
3. Cook until very soft, constantly stirring, and adding water and mashing from time to time.
4. When almost cooked and well mashed, add some more butter, chile powder, garam masala, salt and sugar.
5. Mix well. Reserve this bhaji.
6. Slit the bread horizontally into two portions joined to each other along one long edge.
7. Smear with remaining butter and grill or fry on a griddle on both sides.
8. Garnish bhaji with coriander leaves and serve with hot pav with lemon wedges and onion slices