Chef John Folse's Simply Sensational Super-Moist Fruitcake
|Course : Vegetables
Preparation / Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine candied dried fruit mix, raisins, and dates with whiskey and port wine. Blend well and allow to marinate at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes.
3. Grease and flour six 4" x 9" loaf pans then line bottom with parchment paper to prevent sticking. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time until blended. Add baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and fig preserves. Continue to blend on medium speed until all is incorporated. Pour in brewed coffee, then add flour, one cup at a time until mixture is smooth and well-blended.
5. Pour contents into the large mixing bowl with the marinating fruit and add all remaining ingredients except the decorative cherries and pecans. Using a rubber spatula, blend the flour and fruit mixture until ingredients are evenly distributed.
6. Divide the mixture into the baking pans and bake for 35 minutes. Open oven and carefully slide shelf out and decorate the top of each cake with five red and green cherries and five pecan halves in a decorative fashion.
7. Slide cakes back into oven and reduce temperature to 250 degrees F and bake for approximately 2 1/2 hours. Cakes will be done when toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. When done, remove from the oven and cool approximately 30 minutes. Once cakes are cool, remove from pans, cover with wax paper and wrap well in aluminum foil. These cakes freeze extremely well, but also may be stored in an airtight tin for later use.
8358 Calories (kcal); 545g Total Fat; (57% calories from fat); 84g Protein; 836g Carbohydrate; 1432mg Cholesterol; 4727mg Sodium