Preparation / Directions:
1. Cut fish into medium-size pieces (2 pieces per serving); sprinkle with lemon juice.
2. Combine 1 cup flour, salt, pepper, paprika and beer in mixing bowl; beat with wire whisk until smooth. Set aside.
3. Peel potatoes and cut into slices, then into strips. Place potato strips in bowl of ice water for 5 minutes; drain and dry on paper towels.
4. Heat oil to 375 F.; fry potatoes in wire basket in deep fat until tender, but not browned. Drain on paper towels.
5. Dredge fish in remaining flour, then dip in batter.
6. Fry fish quickly in same oil; remove from oil.
7. Increase heat until oil regains a temperature of 375 F.; lower fish into basket in hot oil and continue cooking 3 to 4 minutes, or until batter is crisp and golden.
8. Drain fish well on paper towel; keep warm in preheated 300 F. oven.
9. Return chips to oil, fry 3 to 4 minutes until tender, crisp and golden-brown.
10. Drain and sprinkle with coarse salt. Serve with vinegar.
NOTE: Sounds fussy, but it really isn't. The English claim this favorite "hand" food tastes best wrapped and served in newspape