Preparation / Directions:
1. Combine chicken broth, wine, water, shallots, celery, parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns, salt and thyme in large saucepan; bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and let simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes; strain.
3. Return liquid to saucepan; add scallops and mushrooms. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Remove scallops and mushrooms; set aside.
5. Quickly boil remaining liquid until reduced to 1 cup.
6. Melt margarine in medium-size saucepan; blend in flour and cook over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
7. Remove from heat; gradually stir in milk and reduced liquid.
8. Return to heat and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
9. Combine beaten egg yolks and heavy cream; gradually stir in 1/4 cup hot sauce.
10. Quickly stir egg-cream mixture back into remaining hot sauce; return to heat 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
11. Remove excess liquid from scallops and mushrooms; pour sauce over scallops and mushrooms, stirring together gently.
12. Spoon mixture into 8 scallop shells or shallow greased baking dishes; sprinkle with cheese.
13. Place shells on broiler rack; broil 7 inches from heat until sauce is bubbly and top is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.