Preparation / Directions:
* - NAM PLA or NUOC MAM, or soy sauce 1. Place 1 clam in each of 4 custard cups or bowls (3/4 cup size). Set the cups in a large baking pan at least 2" deep.
2. In a bowl, combine reserved 1/4 cup liquid from cooked clams, clam juice, 1/4 cup water, egg whites, 2 teaspoons fish sauce, and ginger; beat lightly just to blend. Pour 1/4 of the mixture into each cup.
3. Set pan on center rack of a 325F oven. Pour boiling water into pan around cups to level of custard. Bake until custard jiggles only slightly when gently shaken, 25-35 minutes. Lift cups from pan. Let stand at least 10 minutes. If made ahead, cool, cover, and chill up to a day. Garnish with onion. Offer warm or cold, with fish sauce to add to add to taste.
*** COOKED CLAMS *** 1. Scrub and rinse clams, suitable for steaming (about 1 1/2" wide). in a 1 1/2 quart pan, bring water to a boil. Add clams; cover and simmer until they open, about 5 minutes.
2. Or, to cook in a microwave oven, place clams in a microwave-safe 1 quart container. Cover with plastic wrap and cook at full power (100 percent), checking every 30 seconds, until clams open, 2-3 minutes total.
3. Remove the clams as they open; continue cooking until all are open. (If a clam doesn't open, discard it and cook another.) Use clams warm or cool. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid