Preparation / Directions:
1. Remove heads of fish; make a cut along length of backbone to allow fish to lie flat in one piece during cooking. Place fish in shallow glass baking dish.
2. Combine salt and water; pour over fish and refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Remove fish from salt water; rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
4. Soak 2 handfuls hickory chips in water while building charcoal fire; when coals are glowing and covered with grey ash, add a few hickory chips, shaking first to remove excess water.
5. Brush grill and fish with oil; open fish and place, skin-side down, over coals.
6. Cover and smoke 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until fish flakes easily and has a pleasant smoked flavor, adding hickory chips to fire as needed for steady smoke.
NOTE: Perch, pompano and northern pike can be used in lieu of mullet.