Preparation / Directions:
1. Cut fish into serving pieces and place in flat bowl.
2. Sprinkle fish with lemon juice, onion, salt and pepper to taste; marinate 1 hour.
3. Wash and peel potatoes; cut into strips and rinse in cold water. Drain well.
4. Fry potatoes in deep oil heated to 375 F. until nearly tender; drain and spread on paper towels.
5. Sift together flour, 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper to taste and cayenne to taste into flat dish; dust fish in flour.
6. Dip fish into beer batter and fry until golden brown and crisp. (If doing quantity recipe, watch oil carefully. Periodically skim off cooked brown specks. Keep temperature at 375 F.)
7. Refry potatoes until golden brown; drain.
8. Serve fish and chips together with malt vinegar, if desired.
1. Sift together flour and salt into small mixing bowl; make a well in center.
2. Beat egg yolks lightly with beer; pour into well.
3. Gradually stir in flour from sides of well with wooden spoon until smooth.
4. Stir in melted butter; allow batter to sit about 30 minutes.
5. When ready to use, whisk egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold in gently but thoroughly.