Preparation / Directions:
1. Render pork or bacon in a heavy cast iron Dutch oven without browning it.
2. Cook sausage.
3. Add celery and onions; saute until just soft. Remove with a slotted spoon.
4. Add shrimp; cook over brisk heat only until firm and well colored, 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Remove shrimp. Do not pour off fat, but boil down liquid until water has evaporated. (The grease will begin to "pop.")
6. Return vegetables, pork, sausage and shrimp to pot; add tomatoes and seasonings to taste.
7. Stir to break up tomatoes, then add water just to cover solids.
8. Sprinkle rice over top; stir gently. (Add a little more water if necessary.)
9. Allow mixture to boil, then cover and keep heat at medium, cooking until rice is tender, 30 to 40 minutes.