Sweet Pickled Beaver
|Course : Meat - Game
Source: Michael Pollard
Preparation / Directions:
1. Wash beaver thoroughly with salt water, then let soak overnight in enough cold water to cover, adding 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 tablespoon salt to the water
2. The next day, remove the beaver from the brine, wash and cover with a solution of 2 teaspoons soda to 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse the beaver, then place it in a clean pot. Add water just to cover. Sprinkle mixed pickling spice on top, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Drain and rinse beaver, pat dry and place in a roaster.
5. Mix mustard, spices, sugar, wine and fruit juices and spread over beaver.
6. Cover and roast at 325 degrees F. until tender, basting frequently.