Preparation / Directions:
2 1/2 c water
2 c low sodium chicken broth
1 ts salt
2 sprigs fresh sage
2 sprigs fresh marjoram
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
6 sprigs fresh chives
1 ts garlic -- minced
1 c yellow cornmeal
2 ts olive oil
2 TB herbs (same as above) --
: finely chopped
: vegetable cooking spray
Prepare Basic Polenta: 1. Bring the water, broth, salt and
herb sprigs to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Boil 2 minutes.
Lower the heat so the water is just simmering.
2. Pour the cornmeal in a slow and steady stream into the
water. Stir constantly until all the cornmeal is absorbed,
about 3 minutes. Stir in chopped herbs and garlic.
3. Turn the heat to very low; stir with a wooden spoon
every 2-3 minutes. The polenta is done when it adheres
to itself and pulls away from the sides of the pot,
Prepare Grilled Polenta:
1. Lightly spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking
2. Pour the polenta into the pan and allow it to cool and
solidify at room temperature, about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the broiler. Remove the polenta from the pan
and cut into 3/4-inch slices. Place them on a greased
heatproof dish. Brush both sides with the oil. Broil close
to the heat for a few minutes on each side until the
polenta is crusty, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
From: Mike Key Date: 03-21-96