Preparation / Directions:
1. In a small dry skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, grind to a powder. Empty into a large bowl.
2. Heat 2 tbs of the olive oil in the skillet. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add to the cumin, then whisk in the vinegar, jelly, lemon juice, mustard, soy sauce, crushed red pepper and ginger. Whisk in the remaining cup olive oil. Add the chicken breast halves, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
3. Light a gas grill or preheat a cast-iron grill pan until hot. Remove the chicken from the marinade and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
4. Cook the chicken, skinned side down, until nicely seared with grill marks, rotating the pieces once or twice, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook the other side, rotating, until charred all over and cooked through, about 4 minutes longer.
5. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle the cilantro on top.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Food and Wine August 1995