Preparation / Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Peel the onions and cut them into slices 3/4 inch thick. On a lightly oiled cookie sheet or roasting pan, neatly arrange the onion slices in rows. Be sure to keep the rings of each slice intact and don't crowd the slices. Evenly drizzle the remaining olive oil onto each of the onion slices and season with the salt and pepper.
3. Roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until the onions are softened and very lightly browned. (The recipe can be done ahead up to this point. Allow the onions to cool, then store them, tightly covered in the refrigerator, until ready to use. They will keep up to 3 days.)
4. Just before serving, heat a grill pan until very hot. Use a spatula to place the onion slices on the grill, taking care that the rings stay intact.
Cook 3 to 5 minutes a side to give the onions attractive grill marks and a delicious smoky flavor.
5. Arrange the grilled onions on a platter, drizzle on the extra-virgin olive oil, sprinkle with the chopped parsley, and serve.
Recipe By: The Union Square Cafe Cookbook - ISBN 0-06-017013-