Preparation / Directions:
Prepare Basic Polenta:
1. Bring the water and salt to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Lower the heat so the water is just simmering.
2. Pour the cornmeal in a slow and steady stream into the water. Stir constantly until all the cornmeal is absorbed, about 3 minutes/
3. Turn the heat to very low; stir with a wooden spoon every 2-3 minutes. The polenta is done when it adheres to itself and pulls away from the sides of the pot, 20-25 minutes.
Prepare Grilled Polenta:
1. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with oil or butter.
2. Pour the polenta into the pan and allow it to cool and solidify at room temperature, about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the grill. Remove the polenta from the pan and cut into 3/4-inch slices. Place them on a greased heatproof dish. Brush both sides with the oil or melted butter and grill close to the heat for a few minutes on each side until the polenta is crusty, about 5 minutes.
"The Occasional Vegetarian" by Karen Lee. Posted by Diane Lazarus