Preparation / Directions:
Makes about 6 dozen squares
1. Lightly grease 8-or 9-inch square pan.
2. Thoroughly combine dry ingredients in a heavy 4-quart saucepan; stir in milk.
3. Bring to a "bubbly" boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
4. Boil without stirring until temperature registers 234 F. on candy thermometer (soft-ball stage), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into very cold water forms a soft ball. (Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan.)
5. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla; do not stir.
6. Cool at room temperature to 110 F. (pan is barely warm to touch).
7. Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens and loses its gloss; quickly spread in prepared pan.
8. Cool completely; cut into 1-inch squares.
Marshmallow-Nut Fudge (Variation)
1. Increase cocoa to 3/4 cup; cook fudge as above.
2. Add 1 cup marshmallow creme with butter and vanilla; do not stir.
3. Cool to 110 F. on candy thermometer. Beat 10 minutes; stir in 1 cup broken nuts and pour into pan. (Fudge will not set until it is poured into pan.)