Preparation / Directions:
1. Use a 14-ounce can of crushed pineapple. Invert over a sieve placed in bowl to drain pineapple thoroughly.
2. Chop the pecans coarsely.
3. Combine the drained pineapple, sugar and cream in a heavy saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat and bring mixture to boiling. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Continue until mixture reaches 234 degrees on a candy thermometer (soft ball stage). This will stick a little but DO NOT scrape bottom and sides of pan; brushing down side of pan occasionally will help.
4. Remove from heat and let cool just until cool enough that you can touch pan without being burned. DO NOT stir or disturb mixture in any way while this is cooling.
5. Add the margarine (or butter) and the vanilla extract. Beat vigorously until the candy loses its gloss. Stir in the pecans using as little mixing as possible.
6. Immediately pour into 8 x 8-inch pan that has been greased with margarine. Do not scrape the bottom or sides of pan as you are putting the mixture into dish.
7. Let cool completely, then cut into small pieces for serving.