Preparation / Directions:
1. Cook rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons water together for 5 minutes.
2. Soak gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water in bowl; stir in 1/4 cup boiling water to dissolve gelatin.
3. Add 1/2 cup sugar and lemon peel, stirring until sugar is dissolved; stir in lemon juice, rhubarb and vanilla.
4. Place bowl in ice water. When chilled, whip with egg beater until frothy.
5. Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form; gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
6. Fold into gelatin mixture, spoon into serving dishes, and chill.