Preparation / Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place the pumpkin chunks in a roasting pan and pour in water to a depth of 1/4 inch. Cover tightly with foil. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is just tender. Remove from the oven, cut away the rind and stringy flesh and cut the pumpkin flesh into slices about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch thick.
3. While the pumpkin is cooking, peel and core the apples and cut each apple into 16 slices. Toss the slices with the granulated sugar and lemon juice. Heat 1/2 stick of butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until it melts and starts to sizzle. Add the apple slices. Stir well. Add the bourbon, raisins, allspice and cardamom. As soon as the mixture comes to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Then add the cooked pumpkin. Turn off the heat.
4. Make the topping: In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour and brown sugar. Cut the remaining stick of butter into 16 or so pieces and knead it into the oat mixture until you have lumps the size of small peas. Do not overwork it.
5. Butter the bottom of a 12-inch oval casserole. Spread the pumpkin and apple mixture out in it and top with an even layer of the oat mixture. Place under a broiler until the top is sizzling brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes and serve.