Preparation / Directions:
Makes 2 quarts
* (apricots, peaches, pears and pitted prunes)
1. Put dried fruits in large kettle with tight-fitting cover; pour cold water over fruits and let soak 1 hour.
2. Add sugar and cinnamon; cook slowly, covered, 1 hour.
3. Soften tapioca in 1/2 cup cold water 5 minutes; add Angostura aromatic bitters and pour into soup.
4 Cook until soup clears, about 10 minutes; remove from heat and add red food coloring.
5. Cool; chill thoroughly in refrigerator.
6. Serve in soup bowls with a dollop of sweet whipped or sour cream.