Preparation / Directions:
For company or a special family meal, there is nothing quite like littleneck clams and shrimp quickly cooked up in a robust marinara sauce. (No cheese is necessary with this sauce; flavoring the oil with garlic is the secret to its great taste.) The clams will take longer to open than the shrimp will take to cook, so add the shrimp at the last moment. Be sure to discard any clams that don't open - this could mean they are not safe to eat.
1. Place oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until it colors slightly but does not burn. Remove garlic from heat and carefully stir in the tomatoes.
2. Return the pot to medium heat. Add the wine, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and sugar. Cook sauce slowly, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
3. Slightly before serving, cook pasta in boiling, salted water for 10-12 minutes or until AL DENTE (just tender).
4. While pasta is cooking, add the clams to the sauce; cover and cook for 8 minutes or until the clams just begin to open, shaking the pot once or twice. Add shrimp and cook 5 minutes longer.
5. Divide the cooked pasta among six shallow bowls. Spoon the hot sauce over the top, distributing the clams and shrimp evenly, and serve immediately