Preparation / Directions:
1. In large bowl, mix flour, salt, and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. With
pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in shortening until
mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
dough holds together; set aside. In small bowl, mix dried fruit, margarine,
1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
2. Peel apples. With melon baller, remove cores but do not go all the way
through to bottom. Press dried-fruit mixture into cavities. Preheat oven
400 degrees F. Grease 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" jellyroll pan.
3. Reserve 1/3 cup dough. On floured surface, with floured rolling pin,
out remaining dough, using a ruler to help shape dough into 21" by 15"
rectangle. Cut dough into six 7-inch squares.
4. On waxed paper, mix remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon
cinnamon. Roll an apple in sugar mixture. Center apple on a dough square;
brush edges of dough with some beaten egg.
5. Bring dough up over top of apple. Press to shape; seal edges. Place
dumpling in jellyroll pan. Repeat to make 6 dumplings in all.
6. Roll reserved dough 1/4 inch thick. Using knife, cut out as many leaves
as possible. Score leaves with back of knife to make veins. Brush
with egg. Attach leaves; brush with egg. Press in cloves for stems. Bake
dumplings 35 to 40 minutes, until pastry is golden and apples are tender
pierced with knife.