Apple Dumplings With Creamy Custard Sauce
|Course : Dumplings
Preparation / Directions:
1. Prepare pastry according to package directions; divide into 4 pieces.
2. Wrap in plastic film or waxed paper; refrigerate.
3. In small bowl mix together margarine, brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon and nutmeg until smooth.
4. Core and peel apples; fill hollows with sugar mixture.
5. Grease shallow baking pan.
6. On floured surface roll out each pastry quarter into 10-inch square; use pastry wheel for decorative edge. Save trimmings to make leaves.
7. Place 1 apple on each square; bring each corner of square to top of apple and pinch edges together firmly to cover apple.
8. Roll out trimmings; cut 16 leaves.
9. Place 4 leaves on each apple; place whole clove in center.
10. Mix egg yolk and water; brush on apples.
11. Bake in preheated 400 F. oven 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
12. Serve warm with Creamy Custard Sauce.
Creamy Custard Sauce Makes 2 cups
1. Mix together sugar, cornstarch and salt in 2-quart saucepan; gradually until smooth.
2. Stir in 2 egg yolks lightly beaten.
3. Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium-low heat; boil 1 minute.
4. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
5. Cover surface with waxed paper or plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours or until chilled. stir in milk