Preparation / Directions:
1. Rinse ducklings and pat dry.
2. Peel, core and slice apples. Mix with prunes; add salt to taste.
3. Stuff ducklings with fruit mixture. Truss and tie with string; rub with oil.
4. Place ducklings on rack in roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, in preheated 350 F. oven 2 1/2 hours, turn and roast 15 minutes longer.
5. Add carrots, onion, celery, thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns; roast 20 minutes longer.
6. Remove ducklings to heated platter.
7. Discard vegetables, keeping liquid in pan intact to make Brown Sauce. Skim off about 1/3 cup fat from pan liquid; reserve for use in Braised Red Cabbage.
8. Serve 1/2 duckling with Brown Sauce and Braised Red Cabbage on the side.
1. Skim all fat from roasting pan; scrape up brown bits from bottom.
2. Add stock; bring to a boil.
3. Meanwhile, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook and stir until flour mixture is golden brown and smooth.
4. Add flour mixture, a little at a time, to stock mixture until sauce is slightly thickened and of gravy consistency; season with salt and pepper to taste. Strain into gravy boat to serve with or over duckling
Braised Red Cabbage
1. Finely shred cabbage and place in heat-proof casserole with lid.
2. Add applesauce, sugar, vinegar, water, currant jelly, duckling fat and salt. Bring to a boil and cover.
3. Transfer to oven and bake in preheated 400 F. oven 2 hours, checking cabbage frequently to prevent drying.