Preparation / Directions:
1. Cream together butter and sugar with a mixer or wooden spoon until well blended.
2. Add the vanilla extract, mix in the egg whites just until incorporated.
3. Gradually add the flour and salt and mix just until absorbed. Stir in lime zest
4. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray flat baking sheets with vegetable spray or use parchment paper. Using a 1/2 tsp measure drop the batter onto the baking sheets leaving a few inches between the cookies because they spread.
5. Bake until the edges are lightly browned, about 10 minutes and remove the cookies immediately to a wire rack. Let sit to cool completely.
Notes: Using a baking sheet with sides causes the cookies to over brown, flat cookie sheets with no edges are beast. If the wafers become to brittle on the sheet before removing to the wire rack, place in the oven for 30 seconds to soften. These should be nice and crisp, cool completely before placing in a container. Do not make them too large or they will be soft. These are nice and light, and not overly sweet.