Preparation / Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheet(s) or line with parchment paper.
2. Beat butter and 1/2 cup of the confectioners' sugar in large bowl of electric mixer on high speed until well combined. Mix in vanilla. Stop the mixer and add the flour and ground nuts. Mix on low speed just until combined.
3. Using 1 teaspoon dough for each, roll into rounds. Place on baking sheet. Dip the bottom of a flat glass in confectioners' sugar, reserving 1/4 cup for this purpose. Press each ball, flattening to a 1-inch round.
4. Bake just until they begin to color, 9 to 11 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. Spread bottoms of half the cookies with preserves, using about 1/4 teaspoon for each cookie. Sandwich together with another cookie.
6. For icing, mix remaining 1 cup confectioners' sugar with just enough water to make it spreading consistency. Tint icing with food color, if desired.
7. Decorate top of cookies with icing, using a pastry bag, if de