Preparation / Directions:
1. In 1-quart saucepan, heat sugar and 1 1/4 cups water to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium; cook mixture about 1 minute or until sugar dissolves completely. Remove to small bowl to cool.
2. In blender at medium speed, blend unpeeled peach or nectarine wedges until smooth. Pour fruit puree into medium-mesh sieve set over medium bowl. With spoon, press peach or nectarine puree against sieve to push through pulp and juice. You should have 3 cups puree; discard skin.
3. Into puree, stir lemon juice and sugar syrup. Pour peach mixture into 9" by 9" metal baking pan.
4. Cover with foil or plastic wrap. Freeze until partially frozen, about 2 hours; stir with fork. Freeze until completely frozen, at least 3 hours longer or overnight.
5. To serve, let granita stand at room temperature 15 minutes to soften slightly. Then, with spoon or fork, scrape across surface of granita to create pebbly texture.
BLUEBERRY Prepare and serve as above but substitute 3 pints blueberries for peaches.
RASPBERRY OR BLACKBERRY Prepare and serve as above but substitute six 1/2-pints raspberries or blackberries and 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice for peaches and lemon juice.
WATERMELON Prepare and serve as above but substitute one 5 1/2-pound piece watermelon, seeded and cut into chunks (about 9 cups), and 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice for peaches and lemon juice. When making the sugar syrup, use only 3/4 cup water instead of 1 1/4 cups.