Preparation / Directions:
1. Add sugar and curry powder to melted butter and mix well.
2. Drain all fruit well. Arrange fruit and nuts in layers in casserole dish. There should be enough fruit to fill the dish about three-quarters full.
3. Pour butter mixture over fruit.
4. Bake at 160 øC for one hour.
5. Refrigerate overnight. Reheat at 175 øC until hot before serving (about 10-15 minutes).
This dish can be served as a desert, alone, or on top of ice cream or pound cake (or both!). But, our favorite way of serving it is as a side dish at brunch on Christmas day. As long as I can remember, Mom has had this dish, along with an egg/cheese casserole, bacon, and muffins for Christmas brunch. It is especially easy since you make it a day ahead of time.
I use standard American ``curry powder''. Any other that you want to use should be ok. Adjust the amount of curry powder to your taste, or use cinnamon if you really don't like the flavor of curry. Use your imagination in choosing the fruits to go in it. Cherries and almonds are a must, but the rest is up to you. We use canned fruit, but fresh would be good too.
Difficulty : easy.
Precision : approximate measure