Preparation / Directions:
1. Cover two thicknesses of corrugated 8 x 6-inch cardboard with aluminum foil.
2. Cut enough slices of cake 1/2" thick to make a 7 x 5-inch rectangle; place cake on foil and freeze.
3. Let egg whites stand at room temperature 1 hour, then beat until frothy.
4. Add cream of tartar and salt; continue beating until soft peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
5. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating for about 3 minutes.
6. Add vanilla.
7. Place ice cream on cake base. Quickly spread ice cream and cake with meringue, spreading down onto foil all around to seal completely. Make swirls on top and sides.
8 Place the Alaska on cookie sheet; bake in preheated 500 F. oven 3 minutes, or until meringue is light brown.
9. Remove to chilled platter; serve at once.
NOTE: Alaska may be prepared ahead and frozen, unwrapped, up to 2 days; then brown just before serving.