Preparation / Directions:
1. In heavy 3-quart saucepan, beat together with rotary beater or portable electric mixer egg yolks, wine, 1/4 cup sugar and liqueur.
2. Place over medium heat and bring just to a simmer, beating constantly.
3. Reduce heat to keep just at simmering; continue to beat until thick and foamy, about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat; set pan in bowl of ice water.
5. Beat until thoroughly cold. (Unless beaten until cold, mixture will collapse and separate.)
6. Beat egg whites with remaining sugar until stiff but not dry; fold into custard mixture.
7. Serve immediately alone, or over fresh fruit or cake, if desired.