Preparation / Directions:
1. In a small bowl mix together Madras Curry Powder, salt and 4 Tbsp. water and set aside.
2. In a medium pan or pot (non-stick is ideal) heat oil over moderate fire and sauté onions, stirring, until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. With a slotted spoon squeeze out excess oil from 3 Tbsp. of fried onions and transfer to paper towels to drain (for garnishing). Add ginger and garlic to rest of onions in oil and sauté, stirring, 1 min. Add spice paste and sauté, stirring, until liquid has evaporated, about 1 min.
3. Add tomatoes and sauté, stirring, until soft and melt into the sauce, 3 minutes.
4. Add lamb or mutton and sauté, stirring, 5 minutes. Add quartered onions or halved shallots and 1 cup water, bring to boil and simmer, covered, using medium heat, until meat is tender, about 30 minutes . Taste for salt.
5. Transfer to a dish and garnish with reserved onions and coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice (steamed or pilaf), Indian pickles, Indian bread such as puri, naan, roti or paratha, pita or any other bread or with boiled vegetables or yucca (cassava).