Preparation / Directions:
1. Pick clean and wash all the beans thoroughly in several changes of water. Put them in a deep pot with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and 1 1/2 litters (1 1/2 quarts) of water. Bring the water to the boil and stir often to prevent the beans from sticking to the bottom of the pan or lumping together. Cook over medium heat, partially covered, for about 30 minutes.
2. Stir in the salt to taste. Keep the lentils on a low simmer while you make the fried seasonings.
3. Heat 4-6 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring constantly, until they turn light brown (15-18 minutes). Add the garlic, ginger and chiles and continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Increase the heat to high, add the tomatoes, and fry, turning them carefully and shaking the pan, until they look slightly browned and cooked (about 5 minutes).
4. Pour the entire contents of the pan over the dal and gently stir to mix. Continue simmering while you make the spiced butter.
5. Wipe the frying pan clean and place it on medium-high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of the oil. When it is hot, add the cumin, cayenne and paprika. Immediately pour the entire contents of the pan over the dal, scraping the mixture out with a rubber spatula. Stir a few times, just to streak the dal with the spiced butter.
6.Serve garnished with coriander and more paprika.