Preparation / Directions:
Preparation time: 6 hrs soaking Cooking time: 40 minutes
1. Soak the parboiled rice in water for at least six hours. Make a smooth batter in a lblender.
2. Soak together the black gram dhal and fenugreek seeds, also for six hours. Make a smooth batter.
3. Mix the batters together, adding salt and set aside for at least twelve hours until the mixture ferments. Use a large pot since the batter is likely to increase in volume when fermented. The batter should become a mass of tiny bubbes. Do not stir too much.
4. Heat the tawa (griddle). Sprinkle a few drops of water. If it sizzles, the tawa is ready for use. 5. Smear a little oil on the tawa (do not use too much oil, as the batter will not spread evenly). When the oil smokes, lower the heat.
6. Pour a ladleful of batter over the tawa and spread quickly using a continuous spiral motion, spreading it outwards until the dosa measures about 6 inches. Pour a tsp of oil all round the edges.
7. Increase the heat and cook for a couple of minutes until golden brown in color.
8. Turn the dosa, carefully lifting the edges. Fry for another couple of minutes until done. 9. Serve hot with coconut chutney.