Preparation / Directions:
Fluffy snack made from various pulses.
Preparation time: 20 minutes plus 6 hrs soaking Cooking time: 30 minutes
1. Wash rice and dals. Remove all water and dry by spreading on a paper towel. Grind to a coarse paste.
2. Blend yogurt and water and add to the flour.
3. Mix well and cover tightly. Leave for 8 hours.
4. Grind green chiles and ginger, salt, turmeric and red chile powder together and add to the fermented mixture and mix.
5. Pour a cupful of batter immediately onto a greased plate.
6. Sprinkle chile powder and steam for 15 minutes in a pressure cooker. Steam remaining batter in similiar manner.
7. When cool cut into squares.
8. Heat oil, fry the asafetida and mustard seeds until the seeds starts popping. Add the fluffed squares.
9. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with coconut chutney.