Preparation / Directions:
This pancake-like Gujarati snack is grilled between banana leaves which lends it an aroma all of its own.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 1 1/2 minutes per panki
1. Mix the rice flour, baking powder, yogurt and 2 teacups of water. Leave the mixture for 2 to 3 hours.
2. Add the cumin seeds, green chile and salt and mix very well.
3. Cut the banana leaves into small squares.
4. Apply a little oil to the banana leaves. Spread a little mixture on each leaf portion and top with carrot and fresh garlic. Put another greased leaf on top.
5. Cook on tawa (griddle) until light brown sports appear on top. Repeat for the other side.