Preparation / Directions:
This is a medley of rice and pulses with carrot and peas.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes
1. Divide the coconut milk in half
2. Grind ginger and chiles to a paste.
3. Heat 4 tbsp. oil and toss in the mustard seeds.
4. Add the vegetables and fry for 5 minutes.
5. Put in the ginger paste, tomato, salt and turmeric powder.
6. Cover tightly and cook until the carrot and peas are almost done.
7. Mix in the rice dal, half the milk along with enough water to stand 1 inch above the rice.
8. Bring the water to a boil.
9. Reduce heat and cook until the rice is almost tender.
10. Put in mint and coriander leaves.
11. Pour in the other half of the milk and continue cooking until the rice is tender.
12. Remove from fire and serve hot.