Preparation / Directions:
1. In a heavy 6-8 quart pot, melt the butter over high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers and celery and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are very soft, 30-45 minutes.
2. While the vegetables are cooking, place the crawfish tails in a large bowl and add the water. Agitate thoroughly with your hands to rinse the crawfish and to separate any remaining fat from them. Pick out any veins or other debris. Drain the crawfish, reserving the liquid, and place the tails in a separate bowl.
3. Lower the heat under the vegetable mixture and add the roux, salt, peppers and Tabasco® sauce. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the roux is completely blended in, 3-4 minutes.
4. Stir in the crawfish fat and let the mixture simmer 4-5 minutes more, stirring frequently. If the oil begins to separate out, just stir it back in until the mixture is smooth. Pour in the crawfish liquid and bring to a heavy simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often to keep the oil from separating. You can prepare ahead to this point, returning the mixture to a simmer when you are ready to proceed.
5. Add the crawfish tails and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the green onions and parsley and simmer for 1 minute more. Serve over cooked rice.