Preparation / Directions:
1. Place in large bowl the flour sifted with sugar, salt and baking powder. Use a pastry blender to cut in margarine (or butter) until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
2. Beat egg with 2 tablespoons water and almond extract. Add to flour mixture and mix with fork until dough leaves side of bowl.
3. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Form dough into balls 1-inch in diameter and place 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Using palm of hand, flatten each ball to 1/4-inch thick. Keep dough in a circle shape. Press whole almond in center of cookie.
5. Combine egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water. Brush onto each cookie.
6. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.