Preparation / Directions:
Makes 6 dozen cookies
1. Heat corn syrup to a boil in 2-quart saucepan; remove from heat.
2. Stir in sugar, brown sugar, margarine, eggs, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves and lemon rind, stirring until smooth.
3. Stir together flour, almonds, baking soda and salt in large bowl; stir into syrup mixture alternately with milk in 3 additions, stirring just until blended.
4. Turn onto floured surface; knead 5 to 10 minutes or until dough is no longer sticky. Chill 30 minutes.
5. Divide dough into 4 equal portions; using palms of hand, roll 1 portion into a pencil-thin rope and cut into 1-inch lengths to form stems.
6. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet in preheated 350 F. oven 6 minutes, or until lightly browned.
7. Using remaining dough, roll 1 generous teaspoonful of dough into a ball to form each cap; repeat until there are the same number of caps as stems.
8. Using handle of a wooden spoon, press a hole 1/2 inch deep into center of each ball; place on ungreased cookie sheet hole side down and bake in preheated 350 F. oven 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
9. Cool on wire racks.
10. Dip one end of each "stem" into Decorator Frosting; press into cavity of each "cap," enlarging hole with paring knife if necessary.
11. Let dry completely, cap end down; when set, dip cap only in Quick Glaze, twirling cookie to distribute glaze.
12. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Place on waxed paper until glaze is set.
Stir together confectioners' sugar and dark corn syrup in small bowl until smooth.
Heat dark corn syrup to a boil in small saucepan, stirring constantly; boil 1 minut