Preparation / Directions:
Makes 4 dozen
1. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves; set aside.
2. Cream together lard and sugar; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Add 1 cup sifted ingredients to creamed mixture; stir in milk.
4. Add remaining sifted ingredients.
5. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured board; cut out cookies and sprinkle with additional sugar.
6. Place on greased cookie sheets; bake in preheated 400 F. oven 8 to 10 minutes.
NOTE: Can be the beginning of a host of cookie types: fruit, nuts, colored sugar, etc. Buying cookie cutters in different sizes and shapes is a wise investment. Cookie baking with the small fry is a great way to spend a rainy afternoon!