Preparation / Directions:
Makes 4 dozen cookies
1. Combine sugar, molasses, water, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in a saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to boil.
2. Remove from heat; add margarine and stir until completely melted.
3. Cool slightly; gradually stir in flour and baking soda until smooth.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured board; knead a few times until smooth.
5. Wrap in waxed paper; chill about 45 minutes.
6. Divide dough into 4 pieces; roll out 1 piece at a time to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured board.
7. Cut out desired shapes with cookie cutters and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets; bake in preheated 350 F. oven 6 to 8 minutes, or until done.
8. Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire racks.
9. Frost with Royal Icing; decorate as desired.
1. Combine confectioners' sugar, stiffly beaten egg white and vanilla in a howl until well blended; gradually add skim milk and beat until smooth. (If icing becomes stiff, beat in few more drops milk)
2. Tint as desired with a few drops food Colorin