Preparation / Directions:
Makes 16 to 18 filled cookies
1. Cream shortening and sugar in large mixer bowl.
2. Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
3. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture.
4. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto lightly greased cookie sheet; bake in preheated 375 F. oven 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookie springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool.
5. Prepare Creme Filling. Spread bottom of one cookie with 1 tablespoon of filling, cover with second cookie; repeat with remaining cookies.
NOTE: To sour milk, use 1 tablespoon vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
Creme Filling 1. Cream butter and shortening; gradually beat in marshmallow creme.
2. Blend in vanilla and confectioners' sugar; beat to spreading consistenc