Chocolate Walnut Strudel
|Course : Chocolate
Preparation / Directions:
1. Thaw pastry sheet at room temperature for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 375'F.
2. Mix egg and water in small bowl. Microwave chocolate, milk and butter in large bowl on high for 1 1/2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring halfway through heating time. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
3. Unfold pastry sheet on lightly floured surface. Roll into 16" x 12" rectangle.
3. Spread chocolate mixture evenly on pastry to within 1 1/2" from edge. Sprinkle walnuts over chocolate. Starting at short side, roll up jelly roll style.
4. Place seam side down on ungreased cookie sheet. Tuck ends under to seal. Brush with egg mixture.
5. Bake 35 minutes or until golden. Cool 30 minutes on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Note Decorative Cut Outs: Thaw, unfold and roll out remaining pastry sheet. Cut into decorative shapes using cookie cutter. Press shapes onto top of strudel. Brush tops with egg mixture. Bake as above. As for the cut outs, I did not thaw another sheet out.I rolled the dough out to 12 X 16 and cut out small hearts on the 12 inch side and reduced the overall size to 12 X 15....worked fin