Preparation / Directions:
Makes about 3 dozen candies
1. Thoroughly cream butter with sugar and milk; blend in vanilla and almond extracts. (If mixture is too sticky, additional sugar may be added.)
2. Mold a small amount around each cherry, being careful to completely cover cherry. Place on tray covered with waxed paper; set aside.
For the Coating
1. Melt chips and shortening in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water.
2. Cool, stirring occasionally, until coating is lukewarm and slightly thickened, or registers 980 F. on candy thermometer. (Maintain this temperature while dipping.)
For the Dipping
1. Drop centers into coating mixture; roll to coat completely and remove with fork, drawing fork across rim of pan to remove excess coating.
2. Drop coated cherry from fork, upside down, onto waxed paper, swirling a "thread" of coating from fork across top for a decorative touch.
3. Allow coating to become firm at room temperature; check bottoms and reseal with additional melted coating, if necessary.
4. Store in a cool place (do not refrigerate) at least two days to form cordial.