Preparation / Directions:
1. Beat the egg yolks with a whisk. Gradually add 135 g sugar.
2. In saucepan, bring milk to a boil, remove from heat. When slightly cooled, very slowly add to egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly and quickly, being careful not to curdle the eggs.
3. Melt chocolate in a double boiler and stir until smooth and silky. Pour into custard mixture and blend. Add cocoa powder and mix well.
4. Pour into larger saucepan, place over medium heat (do not boil) and stir until mixture thickens slightly.
5. In another saucepan, heat the 2 Tbls sugar with 30 ml water until a caramel is formed. Add this to the custard and blend well.
6. Cool about 1 - 1 1/2 hours and then add to ice cream maker.
Note: Use only very good chocolate. I used a Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate bar and Perugina cocoa powder. I think if you use not so good chocolate this will taste like plain old ice cream. Be sure to chill it enough. When I made it, I only chilled it (in the freezer) about 1/2 hour. It took longer to make in the ice cream maker than most other recipes I've tried and I think I didn't chill it enough. This is too good to share...make it for yoursel