Preparation / Directions:
This one uses walnuts for the meat surrogate...
A. 1 cup oil
B. 1 cup walnut halves
C. 1/4 cup glutinous rice flour
D. 1/4 cup flour
E. 1 teaspoon baking powder
F. dash salt
G. 1 green pepper
H. 1 red pepper
I. 1 scallion, chopped
J. 2 tablespoons vinegar
K. 2 tablespoons sugar
L. 2 tablespoons catsup
M. 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
N. 1/2 teaspoon salt
O. 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water
I. Pour boiling water over B, let stand for 2 minutes; peel and dry completely on paper towel.
II. Mix C, D, E, F with 5 tablespoons water to make batter.
III. Wash G, H; discard stems and seeds; cut G, H into cubes.
1. Heat A to 325F; deep fry B for 15 to 30 seconds until golden brown; do not burn; drain on paper towel.
2. Dip fried B in C-F batter; then deep fry again in A until golden brown; drain on paper towel.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon A, add G, H, I, stir-fry for 1/2 minute, add salt to taste.
4. Mix J, K, L, M, N, O in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until thickened.
5. Add B and G-I, stir well and serve.
From "An Encyclopedia of Chinese Food and Cooking" by Wonona W. and Irving B. Chang, Helen W. and Austin H. Kutscher.