Preparation / Directions:
To prepare and cook:
1. ea For sweet milky paste, knead butter and sugar together, then add sifted flour and other ingredients. Steam mixture over boiling water for approximately 20 minutes until firm.
2. Mix filling ingredients and set aside.
3. Make each dough separately, kneading their ingredients together (using water as necessary to create soft textures). Make small balls (approximately 4 g each) from each dough.
4. Take an outer layer dough ball, slightly flatten it, and place an inner layer dough ball on top. Roll two layers together 'into a round shape. Flatten it into a long shape with a rolling pin. Roll it up towards you, to form a tube shape. Place tube sideways on work surface, roll it flat and fold it from left to right in thirds. Flatten it again.
5. Place some filling paste (approximate 1/3 tsp) on flattened dough. Roll it up into a ball, then flatten half of the ball lightly. Press a knife into flattened end to make indented lines forming five "fingers", folding one or two inwards. On back of "hand", draw a few lines across the surface. At thick end indent a hole with a chopstick.
6. Brush completed set of "hands" with egg yolk. Bake in an oven at medium heat for approximately 12 minutes until golden. (The peach garnish recipe is not included. It is steamed dough with coloring and decorative leaves and stem.)
From "Champion Recipes of the 1986 Hong Kong Food Festival". Hong Kong Tourist Association, 1986