Preparation / Directions:
Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and sour cream OR chopped ripe
1. Soak the beans overnight in water to cover generously. Drain and rinse
2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottom pot over medium high heat. When
hot, brown the turkey breast well on all sides. Remove and set aside.
3. Add the onions, garlic, celery, and green pepper. Saute, stirring
frequently, until the vegetables are soft, 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, cayenne, and the turkey
breast. Heat until the pot starts bubbling, then reduce heat to a slow
simmer, partially cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hour. Stir occasionally,
watching carefully that the bottom does not start to stick.
5. Remove the turkey breast, remove the bone, and coarsely shred the meat
with two forks (hold the meat with one fork, tear with the grain with the
other.) Return the meat to the pot.
6. Heat a heavy bottom skillet over low heat. Add the whole cumin seed
and toast 2-3 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until lightly brown
and aromatic. Remove from heat. Coarsely crush the cumin in a mortar and
pestle or with a rolling pin. Add to the pot.
7. Cook an additional one hour, or until the beans are tender.
8. For the traditional approach, top with the cheese and sour cream; for
the modern/healthy approach, top with the avocado.