Buttermilk Fried Chicken And Biscuits
|Course : Chicken
Preparation / Directions:
1. Rinse chicken pieces; pat dry. Arrange chicken pieces in a 13x9-inch baking dish and pour 3/4 cup buttermilk over chicken. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. In a shallow dish, stir together the 1/2 cup flour, parsley, oregano, 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper.
3. Remove chicken from the baking dish, reserving buttermilk. Coat the chicken with the flour mixture.
4. In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, heat the oil and 1/4 cup butter. Brown the chicken pieces in skillet for 10 minutes, turning once. Drain and transfer chicken back to the baking dish, placing the pieces in the reserved buttermilk.
5. Strain the drippings from the skillet into a measuring cup. Add additional melted butter to make 1/3 cup, if necessary. Reserve for biscuits.
6. Preheat oven to 375º.
7. Add the chicken broth to the skillet, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen browned bits. Pour the mixture evenly over the chicken. Bake, uncovered, for 50 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
8. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the 2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 tsp. salt. Add the reserved drippings and 3/4 cup buttermilk. Stir just until the dough clings together.
9. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough gently 10 times, adding more flour as needed. Roll the dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut the dough into rounds. Transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet. Bake in the 375º oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with the chicken.
2977 Calories (kcal); 107g Total Fat; (32% calories from fat); 47g Protein; 460g Carbohydrate; 137mg Cholesterol; 3821mg Sodium