Cornish Hens With Oranges And Rice
|Course : Chicken
Serves: 4 - 6
Preparation / Directions:
1. In a large glass baking dish, combine the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, bitters and hot-pepper sauce.
2. Wearing rubber gloves to protect your hands, split both the dried chili pepper and the jalapeno pepper in half and remove the seeds.
3. Finely chop both, then transfer to a mortar and pestle. Mash the peppers and garlic into a paste. Add to the vinegar mixture and combine.
4. Remove any visible fat from the hens, especially the cavity area. Place in the dish, turning pieces several times to coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
5. To cook, remove the hens from marinade and place on a broiler pan. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 10 to 15 minutes per side, or until juices run clear when a fork is inserted in thickest part of the thigh.
6. Baste occasionally with remaining marinade. (If hens seem to darken too fast, move them further from the heat source.)
7. Serve with the rice and orange sections.
CHEF'S NOTES: Cook the rice: Start cooking brown rice about 45 to 60 minutes before serving. If using white rice, start it 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
ACCOMPANIMENT: Serve with a bright green vegetable such as broccoli, sugar snap peas or brussels sprout
1972 Calories (kcal); 95g Total Fat; (44% calories from fat); 128g Protein; 142g Carbohydrate; 673mg Cholesterol; 485mg Sodium