Preparation / Directions:
1. Brown chicken in 2 tablespoons hot butter in a large kettle or Dutch oven; turn and brown on other side.
2. Remove chicken; set aside. Add onion; saute‚ 2 minutes over low heat, stirring often.
3. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
4. Add flour; stir until well blended with fat.
5. Add wine, broth, bay leaf, thyme and salt; bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until flour-fat mixture is dissolved.
6. Return chicken to kettle; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
7. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in medium-size skillet; saute‚ mushrooms 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden. Add mushrooms to kettle.
8. Melt remaining butter in same skillet; add canned onions and brown lightly.
9. Add onions to kettle; simmer 15 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
10. Add Tabasco sauce.
11. Remove chicken, mushrooms and onions to a serving platter.
12. Skim fat from sauce; strain sauce over chicken.
13. Serve with additional Tabasco sauce if desired.