Preparation / Directions:
1. Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of
pan. Spray with with vegetable oil. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on the
bottom of the foil-lined pan; set pan aside.
2. In a heavy 3-quart saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Add the
sugar cream maple syrup and mix well. Cook over medium-high heat to
boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This
should take 6 to 8 minutes. Avoid splashing the mixture on sides of pan.
Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, till candy thermometer
registers 248F, firm-ball stage. Mixture should boil at moderate, steady
rate over entire surfacce. Reaching firm-ball stage should take 45 to 55
4. Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from sauccepan.
Immediately stir in vanilla. Quickly pour the caramel mixture over the
nuts in the prepared pan.
5. Cool. When caramel is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Use a
knife to cut candy into 1-inch squares. Wrap each piece in cleaar
plastic wrap. Makes 64 pieces or about 2 pounds.
Note: I did not wrap them but put them in small bags (10 per bag) and
store them in the freezer that's how I like them cold and hard. Warning
they are very rich.
Enjoy and happy holiday